Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cádiz in Pictures

Yeah, I know, it's been a while. For what it's worth, though, not much has happened in the last week.

Every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (and occasionally Wednesday and occasionally not Friday) I wake up and head to class at 9:30am in this building:


I'm referring to the three week immersion course I've been taking since I arrived. Real classes don't start until next Monday, but this immersion course feels real enough; I have a test this Friday and I'm not exactly looking forward to it.

Class goes until 2pm, but we get a half hour break at 11:30am for a snack. People in Cádiz don't eat lunch until about 3pm, so I've been taking advantage of snack time. I usually get a caña con chocolate, a messy but delicious pastry with melted chocolate inside.

After lunch, I usually meet up with my friends at around 4 or 4:30pm, and we just sort of walk around the city. Stores are closed for siesta from about 2pm until about 6pm, because naps are awesome and Spanish people know it. It's occasionally sort of inconvenient--and kind of jarring, coming from America where grocery stores and fast food restaurants are often open 24/7--but I'm already used to it.

Speaking of walking around the city, though, reminds me that you guys haven't actually seen much of the city. So here are some pictures I've taken (you're welcome to ooh and aah if you feel so inclined):







Okay, that's all for now. I'll try to update more frequently from here on out and I'll let everyone know how my test goes on Friday. Anyway, I better wrap this up; those preposiciones and construcciones pasivas aren't gonna study themselves.

SPANISH FOR VIDLINGS:

Here are some useful phrases in Spanish and their approximate equivalents in English.

  • Ya voy: I'm coming.
  • Nos vemos: See you later. 
  • Hasta ahora: See you soon.
  • Vale: Okay.
  • Encantado: Nice to meet you. 
  • ¿Cómo?: Uh... what?
  • No entiendo: I don't understand.
  • Sí, vale, ya entiendo: I still don't understand, but I feel like an idiot, so I'm not going to have you repeat it again.

7 comments:

  1. "Sí, vale, ya entiendo: I still don't understand, but I feel like an idiot, so I'm not going to have you repeat it again."


    I bet you use this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all agree with Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut up, Unanimous, you insufferable prick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doo doo doo doo doo!

    ReplyDelete